Monday, April 16, 2012

Stage 6

Speed Limit Changes Aren't So Bad

By:  Lee Mitchell

     There were a couple of good points that were brought up when Mr. Mitchell wrote about the recent speed limit changes, although overall I disagree.  Maybe I am turning into my mother in my old age but I think that the negative would outweigh the positive because of the nature in which people drive.  I agree that traffic is ridiculous and it does take a terribly long time to get somewhere if you are driving during peak hours but this is something we all have to get used to if we continue to reside here.  
  
     I have covered the fact that I am turning into an old lady and for this reason the speed limit increase makes me a little nervous.  While driving at times that the roads are not very congested people drive with little regard to anyone else, like they own the road.  With this being said I don't think anyone really pays attention to the speed limit as long as they aren't going that much over, for example if the speed limit is 70 generally people will probably push it to 75-80, so with the increase it just means we will have drivers thinking that it is acceptable to push the limit.

     I do understand the point that when you are driving on a road that has nobody else on it and you have miles of visibility it should be acceptable to drive as fast as you want but again I disagree.  There are a lot of experienced drivers on the road but there are a large amount of very new drivers as well.  When your vehicle is moving at a very excessive rate your reaction time is terrible so if a deer or even an armadillo were to jump or crawl out in front of you and you are caring of all natures creatures, you will probably swerve, crash, and possibly die.     
     
     We live in Austin, traffic is very crazy and I agree with that but if we choose to live here we understand that traffic is going to have to be something we deal with.  If everyone could be trusted to do the speed limit and be cautious while driving I would be just fine with the increases, I am just not ready to have some irresponsible asshole crash into me because they have somewhere to be in a hurry, which is typically an appointment for a hair cut or something stupid.   

No comments:

Post a Comment